Friday, February 19, 2010

Sweet Tooth Blues

I decided last night to give up sugar. Not permanently, just to see what life is like without it. I'm so used to sprinkling the sweet white flakes into beverages and onto food, its become a reflex. The sugar canister is never empty. I put at least one (heaping) teaspoon of sugar in each of my morning cups of coffee. I love cookies and chocolate and pretty much any kind of sugar coated sugar dipped in sugar. I eat so much sugar that my teeth have been passing around a petition. So, to give my pearly whites a break, and to test my own willpower, I'm giving up the white powder for an indefinite period of time. Now, I'm not one to go cold turkey. I've never really been addicted to anything except books...and coffee...and, uh, sugar...um. But I think a series of cutbacks is best. For example, starting this morning - no sugar in my coffee. I think this was by far the biggest hurdle. Before this morning I had never even TASTED coffee without sugar. It's not bad. I think it'll grow on me. So this weeks task is to not ADD sugar to anything. I'm also trying to calm down with the sugary beverages (I'm looking at you, soda) and staying farrrr away from splenda, aspartame, etc. Yick.

How fast do the sugar cravings stop? Well at lunch, I was eating a banana, and it tasted sweeter than usual. Deliciously sweet. Because there was no sweet competition, except my snapple (I couldn't bring myself to pay two dollars for a bottle of water. This is Albany, not Manhattan.) the banana was better. I like it. Let's keep it going. I looked at our box of kettle corn...zero sugar. Miracle? Also this vodka tonic. Well done, vodka. Well done, tonic water.

That's all for now. Just trying to make my dentist proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment