Monday, September 6, 2010

Lets Go Cardinals?

This past Friday, the law school organized a group outing to a baseball game. As a lifelong baseball fan I was pretty hyped to go. The only thing is, we are in St. Louis and not New York. So the team everyone was cheering for was the Cardinals...not the Yankees. I didn't expect it to make as big a difference as it did.

When the Yankees play, I am all about it. Engaged, happy, heartbroken, interested. With the Cards, not so much. I'm not emotionally invested in them at all. Yes, Albert Pujols seems pretty cool but that's where my involvement ends.

Now, since I like baseball anyway it wasn't a chore to sit and watch. But when my friends suggested leaving after the 7th inning I was all about it, something that would never happen at a Yanks game. This makes me seriously question how I'm going to cope in life if I am not in New York or the surrounding area. It could become a problem.

On the upside, being a Yankees fan in the Midwest means that other Yankees fans are on the lookout. I've already bonded with a couple of people over a mutual love of the bronx bombers. So I guess the moral of the story is that every cloud has a silver lining. At least I'm not surrounded by Mets fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment